Saturday 26 April 2014

A Martin Scorsese Picture

One of my main directorial influences would be Martin Scorsese.  Some of my all time favourite films have been directed by him; Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Shutter Island and more recently The Wolf of Wall Street.

I have been researching how Martin is on set and have found that unlike a lot of other directors I have read about, he likes to get right into the set with the actors and tell them face to face how he thinks a scene is going and what he would like to change.  This is how I will try to direct Dislocation, up close and personal with my actors getting involved in the acting process and letting them know exactly whether or not I feel like they are doing a good job or not.


I have always been told to 'let an actor act', which of course I will not be instructing them on how to do their job.  I will however not be standing by smiling if I think we need to do another take.  I intend to praise my actors when they do well and politely request another take with suggestions if things are going as I had visioned.  I also will be taking a lot of advice from my DOP, Conor Shearer whose opinion I trust greatly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment